Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Public Speaking - Feb 12, 2017

Public speaking.   Two words that cause more butterflies than almost anything I know. Standing up in front of an audience, a panel of judges and your fellow 4-H members, to share a topic you are passionate about is unthinkable for most. For the young 4-H members I had the pleasure of judging, not a hint of nervousness was shown.




I judged intermediate level, young ladies and gentlemen between the ages 12 and 14 and with each speaker came a different topic. It was a true reflection on who that person was, how their speech related to them and what the plan was for the future. I must say that the future is bright for every single member who spoke that day not matter what age or level.  As a judge we are not supposed to talk to the members between breaks and presentation so as I watched from my chair it was heartwarming to see everyone eating, relaxing and talking together. Katie and I felt like we were both welcomed into a huge family. The day flew by and by the end, every parent in that room was glowing with pride as their child stood in front and received their award. 



Now, Katie and I did not get the chance to partake in 4-H, but we have seen many of these young adult before and even in the short time we have known them we have noticed a huge change in confidence and self presentation all to the help of 4-H. It is a wonderful organization no matter which club you join and a huge part of shaping growth and I can easily say I learn something new every time I watch public speaking. 

Thank you to the Rocky view Areas 4-H District for inviting us, it is a honor and a pleasure to attend your events! 

Emily Marston
2016 Miss Rodeo Airdrie

No comments:

Post a Comment